Open Graphite lets you control how your WordPress content is viewed when shared on social media.
Typically when one of your pages is shared on social media (Facebook for example), the platform will use the first image and text it can find on the page. This is usually not ideal and often truncates the content into something nonsensical, resulting in the page being less likely to be engaged with.
Open Graphite solves this problem, by allowing you to customise the image, title and description of any of your pages that are shared on social media, all without compromising the original content.
How to use
For the homepage…
- Go to Open Graphite (admin side menu)
- Set your homepage title, description, image and object type
- Enter a Facebook app ID (optional)
- Enter a Twitter username (optional)
- Choose a Twitter card type
- Select which post types to enable for
For posts and pages…
- Create a new post or page (or edit an existing one)
- Scroll down to the Open Graphite metabox
- Enter your desired title, description, image and object type
While the free version of Open Graphite is supported in the WordPress support page, one-on-one priority support is given to Open Graphite Pro license holders.
Open Graphite Pro has additional features, such as:
- The ability to use with any custom post type
- Force Facebook to automatically and immediately update your title, description or featured image when you make edits (no need to use the Facebook debugger)
- Mobile and desktop previews for Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin
- WooCommerce product support
- Pinterest specific options
- Enhanced Slack sharing
- Enable automatic defaults for titles, descriptions, featured images and object types
- Open Graph content indicators
- Limit the number of characters for titles and descriptions (prevent your titles and descriptions getting truncated)
- Open graph check tool
- Additional open graph options
- Priority support
1) Go to ‘Add New’ plugins in WordPress admin
2) Search for ‘Open Graphite’
3) Click ‘Install Now’ and wait for it to finish installing
4) Click ‘Activate’
Fixed reported security issue with the help page.
Fixed a couple of stray PHP warnings.
A few minor improvements.
Fixed PHP warnings.
Minor UX tweak.
Updated broken external links.
A few minor, non critical edits.
Admin UI tweaks.
Removed links to opengraphcheck.com (no longer exists).
Fixed function name error that occurred when Open Graphite Pro is activated.
Admin UI tweaks.
Fixed missing translation strings.
Fixed PHP error.
Replaced missing load_plugin_textdomain() function.
Minor admin UI tweaks.
Updated help topics with most relevant information and correct external links.
Minor admin UI tweak.
New option to integrate with Facebook API to force immediate Open Graph data updates when creating or editing.
Added Linkedin Post Inspector, iFramely and Open Graph Check debugging links.
Fixed broken Facebook and Twitter dubugging link URLs.
Removed colour from admin icon.
Language file tweaks.
Minor UI and language consistency tweaks.
Fixed issue where Jetpack conflict option was not being honoured.
Fixed issue where Woocommerce shop page was using product open graph data.
Removed Woocommerce post types from enabled post types list.
Added locale to open graph meta.
Added missing text domain function.
Added option to avoid Jetpack conflict.
Added troubleshooting option to potentially help solve issues with some themes.
Fixed issue where titles with quotes would not output.
Changed twitter image markup to twitter:image.
Removed required attribute from object type selector.
Moved position in nav.
Added resource links.
Minor presentation tweaks.