This plugin allows you to select a main category (or taxonomy) for your posts for nicer permalinks and SEO.
What it does?
A custom structure such as /%category%/%postname%/ should be usually chosen for your permalinks. By default, this %category% is selected automatically (using the lowest ID) in the case your post is assigned to more than one category. This plugin will let you pick the category of your choice from the ‘Post Edit’ page. The chosen category is shown in bold on the ‘Posts List’ page and the ‘Post Edit’ page.
Below the title, you will see the permalink currently set-up for this entry. If a heart is present, it means that the category (or taxonomy) has been picked up.
They have their own way of working and can’t be supported automatically by default because they are created by specific themes or plugins. If you encounter issues with breadcrumbs, please say so in the Support Threads and let’s see how we can make it work.
It works with any theme or plugin that creates post types and taxonomies but it looks like it doesn’t work with the plugin called “Types”. You can use “Custom Post Type UI” instead.
It works for standard setups, but the plugin might be modified depending on the case. Don’t hesitate to participate in making this plugin better. The official git for this project is here: https://github.com/jordymeow/wp-category-permalink. Thanks to those contributors:
- David Remer (https://github.com/websupporter)
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- How to get the chosen category using PHP?
Have a look at this thread: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/get-primary-category/#post-9055471
- Compatibility with PHP 7.2 by removing create_function calls. Thanks to David (https://github.com/jordymeow/wp-category-permalink/pull/3#issuecomment-443597831).
- Everything is released for free.
- Fix: WP 4.9.
- Fix: Name instead of Query Var.
- Fix: Avoid double trailing slashes.
- Fix: Trailing slashes.
- Fix: Display issues (heart icon was flying all over the place).
- Fix: Permalinks are handled in a much better way. More support for other plugins for custom permalinks.
- Fix: Handle events on the label instead of the li. Inject the link into the label too.
- Update: Additional error handling.
- Update: Enhance the way the post meta is handled.
- Fix: Now newly created categories can be selected.
- Fix: Pro version validation.
- Fix: The permalink below the title was showing a warning even though the category has been picked with a previous version of the plugin.
- Fix: The categories were not bold nor red on the Posts list. With Pro, that also works with WooCommerce well 🙂
- Fix: Issue from the past. If you can’t seem to save your columns, you might need to run the query “DELETE FROM
meta_keyLIKE ‘%wp_manageedit%'” on your DB, just once, to repair the View Screen options.
- Fix: Issue with multisite (with the includes).
- Add: Permalink shown below the title of the posts list (can be disabled in the option). Heart means a category has been picked, otherwise a little red warning is shown.
- Update: A lot of coding & UI improvements.
- Fix: Infinite hidden columns to user meta (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/infinite-user-meta).
- Fix: Update issue for non-WooCommerce user.
- Change: Let’s make it 2.0 since it’s a major change.
- Stable release.
- Add: default category will be shown in red if no category was picked.