With this plugin, administrators can change the default author base in the registered users profile url, and the author slug of each user.
Changing an author slug is a good thing for security (if your login is “This Is Me”, your slug will be “this-is-me”, a bit easy to guess).
The plugin adds 2 fields for this purpose, one in permalinks settings, the other in a user profile.
- Default: example.com/author_base/author_nicename/
- Customized: example.com/jedi/obiwan/
How to edit the slugs
- Go to Settings > Permalinks to edit the author base: “author” => “jedi”
- Go to Users > “Any user profile” to edit the user slug: “agent-smith” => “obiwan”
- The plugin is ready for Multisite.
- Extract the plugin folder from the downloaded ZIP file.
- Upload sf-author-url-control folder to your “/wp-content/plugins/” directory.
- Activate the plugin from the “Plugins” page.
- Go to Settings > Permalinks to edit the author base.
- Go to Users > Any user edit page to edit the user slug (nicename).
- Why the fields don’t display?
You probably don’t have the edit_users capability (for user slug) and manage_options capability (for author base).
Eventually, check out my blog for more infos or tips (sorry guys, it’s in french, but feel free to leave a comment in english).
- Will I keep the customized links if I uninstall the plugin?
Not exactly. The author base won’t be customized anymore, but each user will keep his customized author slug.
To retrieve the initial author slugs, empty the field on each user edit page (only the customized ones of course).
以下人員參與了開源軟體〈SF Author Url Control〉的開發相關工作。參與者
- Tested with WP 4.5.
- Numerous small code improvements.
- Now the link to SX User Name Security displays the plugin infos window instead of installing it directly.
- If the author base has not been modified, add a link in the profile page to the permalinks settings page (administrators only).
- Added an advice in the permalinks settings page to install the plugin SX User Name Security, which is a good companion for SF Author Url Control.
- Updated French translation.
- Bugfix: the activation message was printed too soon in the page.
- Small code improvements.
- Lots of code improvements.
- New filter
sf_auc_user_can_edit_user_slugto allow other roles/users to edit their own profile slug (the editors for example).
- The tests for the author base should be more accurate (check if the slug already exists for something else).
- Updated the i18n domain for WP 3.7.
- Added Spanish translation. Thanks Oliver!
- Updated French translation for the plugin description.
- Bugfix: the author base couldn’t be changed in WP 3.7-alpha
- Small security fix.
- Added German translation. Thanks Carny88!
- Bug fix in permalinks page
- In the user profile page, add a link to the public author page
- Small code improvements
- Minor bug fix
- First public release