Help your site’s editors create semantic content and style it with the theme for consistent formatting and portable content. This plugin removes blocks and other styling options to help editors focus.
I built this plugin for use on client sites. I hope you’ll find it useful! This is an opinionated plugin. Read an in-depth reasoning behind the decisions made by this plugin in the post “A WordPress Formatting Manifesto.” If you find it compelling, then you’ll probably like this plugin!
Block Editor Features
This plugin greatly simplifies the block editor by hiding all of the following features. Filters are provided for developers to adjust what is hidden (including making it easier to hide additional blocks).
- Infrequently Used Core Blocks such as Verse, Table, Audio, Video, etc., and all Query- and Site-related blocks. See FAQ for full list of hidden blocks.
- All Core Block Styles and the “Default style” feature
- Some Block Editor Settings: Drop Cap, Heading 1, Heading 5, Heading 6, image percentage and pixel sizing, font sizing by pixel, open links in new tabs (mostly hidden), duotone, text styles like line-height and letter spacing, etc.
- Default Color & gradient settings (Custom theme palettes/settings are never hidden)
- Core Block Patterns (WP 5.5+)
- Block Directory (WP 5.5+)
- Infrequently Used Jetpack Blocks – See FAQ for full list of hidden blocks.
- “Upload” and “Insert from URL” image options to encourage use of Media Library
The plugin also improves the editor by:
- Increasing prominence of contrast errors
- Styling “Save draft” as a button
Classic Editor / Classic Block Features
Reduces editor to a single row of buttons: “Styleselect” (Headings 2-4 and Blockquote as well as Strikethrough, Subscript, Superscript, Preformatted, and Code), Bold, Italic, Add/Edit Link, Break Link, Horizontal Rule, Paste as Plain Text, Remove Styles, Special Characters, Undo, Redo, Help, Distraction Free Mode.
Note on WordPress version Support
Due to frequent changes to the block editor, features are only guaranteed for the latest version of WordPress.
Hidden Core Blocks:
- Text & Media Blocks: Audio, Code, Next Page, Preformatted, Shortcode, Spacer, Table, Verse, Video
- Widget Blocks: Archives, Calendar, Categories, Latest Comments, RSS, Search, Tag Cloud
- Query-Related Blocks: Query, Archive Title (Query Title), Post Title, Post Content, Post Author, Post Date, Post Excerpt, Post Featured Image, Post Tags & Categories (Post Terms), Term Description
- FSE Blocks: Login/Out, Page List, Site Logo, Site Tagline, Site Title, Navigation, Next Post, Previous Post, Post Comments, Comments Query, Read More, Avatar, Post Author Biography, Post Comments Form
Hidden Core Embeds:
- Amazon Kindle, Animoto, Cloudup, Crowd Signal, Daily Motion, Hulu, Mixcloud, Polldaddy, Reverbnation, Smugmug, Speaker, VideoPress, Wolfram Cloud, and WordPress.tv
Hidden Jetpack Blocks:
- Markdown, Star Rating, Repeat Visitor, OpenTable, Revue, Eventbrite Tickets, GIF, Calendly, and WhatsApp Button
The plugin provides numerous filters that allow developers to hide or unhide additional blocks, block styles, or editor settings.
Code Examples for Plugin Filters
Visit the GitHub wiki for examples of filters to show/hide a block, block style, or editor setting.
以下人員參與了開源軟體〈MRW Simplified Editor〉的開發相關工作。參與者
2.10.0 (October 15, 2022)
- Tested up to WordPress 6.1
- Hide new Text Decoration settings by default (enable via
- Hide image duotone setting (enable via
2.9.0 (May 27, 2022)
- WordPress 6.0 compatibility fixes: hide new blocks, fix regressions
- [New] Hide the default color palette which was re-added by default in WP 5.8. Can be shown by removing
- [New] Hide Avatar, Read More, Comments Query Loop, Post Comments Form, and Post Author Biography blocks
- [Fix] Hide Border Radius in WP 5.9 and 6.0
- [Fix] Prominent contrast error changes in WP 6.0
2.8.0 (February 21, 2022)
- [New] Hide many new default block controls added in WordPress 5.9. All options can be enabled with the mrw_hidden_block_editor_settings filter.
- Text Formatting: line-height, font-weight, letter-spacing, and text-transform
- Spacing: gap, margin, padding
- Borders: General, pull-quote
- [Remove] Remove support for hiding paragraph block dropcap setting in WordPress 5.6 and earlier
- [Remove] Remove support for all old versions of
mrw_*filters using the terms “blacklist” and “disabled”
2.7.0 (February 4, 2022)
- [New] Hide new blocks added in WordPress 5.9: Navigation, Post Pagination, Post Author, Post Comments, Term Description, Wolfram Cloud Embed
- [Dev] Improve inline documentation of new
mrw_hidden_*_blocksfilters added in Simplified Editor 2.5.0
- [Preview] Version 2.8 will continue to hide new settings added in WordPress 5.9: default border controls on pullquote, new typopgraphy settings (e.g. line height, letter spacing), and default padding controls on Group, Cover, and Columns unless themes explicitly opt-in.